The Best Athletic Program in the Country
- Grand Valley is one of the elite athletic programs at any level, having earned the Director’s Cup for being the best NCAA Division II athletic program in the country 29 times.
- Since 2002, GVSU teams have won 28 NCAA Division II national championships. Twenty of the national championships have been in women's sports.
- The NCAA announced that the Grand Valley Athletics Department is the 2023 recipient of the NCAA and Minority Opportunities Athletic Association Award for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Athlete Ally, an LGBTQ advocacy group, recently bestowed Grand Valley’s athletic department a perfect score on its Athletic Equality Index, a measurement of how NCAA schools support LGBTQ inclusion, policies and practices. Grand Valley was the first NCAA Division II school to earn the top mark of 100 from Athlete Ally on its Athletic Equality Index, joining 18 Division I schools to receive the distinction.
- The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) announced today that Grand Valley State captured the 2021-22 Learfield Directors' Cup title with 1,013.00 points in the maximum number of 15 sports. The Lakers' 14 Directors' Cup crowns is a Division II record .